Ehren became Managing Partner of Collins & Slagle in 2017. Ehren has been a partner at the firm since 2009. Before becoming partner, Ehren was an associate for the firm for more than six years, and prior to that served as a law clerk during law school.
Before joining the firm, Ehren graduated Magna Cum Laude from Capital University Law School. While at Capital, Ehren was Managing Editor of the Law Review, completed an externship with Judge John D. Holschuh in the United States District Court for the Southern District of Ohio, and was nominated to the Order of the Curia. Prior to law school, Ehren obtained his B.A. from Baldwin-Wallace College where he was a two-year captain of the varsity golf team.
Ehren is a frequent speaker for the Ohio State Bar Association on the topic of probate litigation, including will contests, admission of lost wills, concealed and embezzled assets, contested use or withdrawal of life-sustaining equipment, trust litigation, and disposition of bodily remains for the OSBA’s Elder Law Institute and Probate Litigation Continuing Legal Education seminar. Ehren has also presented for the Columbus Bar Association. Ehren has also published on the topics on several occasions.
Ehren has earned the prestigious AV – Preeminent rating by Martindale-Hubbell. This is the highest peer review rating available driven by the confidential opinions of lawyers and members of the judiciary regarding an attorney’s ethical standards and legal ability. In addition, Ehren has been selected for inclusion in Ohio Super Lawyers each year since 2015 (and was a “Rising Star” in 2013 and 2014). Only five percent of the total lawyers in the state are selected for inclusion in Super Lawyers. Super Lawyers selects attorneys using a patented multiphase selection process involving peer nominations and evaluations combined with third party research. Each candidate is evaluated on indicators of peer recognition and professional achievement. Ehren was also included in Columbus CEO Magazine’s Top Lawyers in 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018.
Ehren frequently participates in the Ohio Supreme Court’s mentoring program. The mentoring program pairs qualified, experienced attorneys with newly-licensed attorneys to help them assimilate to the practice of law.
Ehren has successfully handled a wide-variety of cases at Collins & Slagle, including high net worth divorces, probate litigation, domestic relations, personal injury, contract litigation, insurance litigation, legal malpractice, and fraud litigation. Sample highlights of cases include the following:
- Successful high net worth divorces, motions to modify spousal support, motions to modify child support, motions to set aside judgments, and nearly all aspects of domestic relations cases.
- Multiple personal injury cases resulting in recoveries in excess of $1,000,000
- Complex construction litigation resulting in recovery of more than $2,000,000
- Numerous personal injury cases resulting in recoveries in excess of $100,000
- Complex contested probate and corporate matter resulting in benefit to client in excess of $1,300,000
- Assisted multiple non-profit corporations in obtaining 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status with the IRS
- Successful resolutions of will contests and defenses of will contests on behalf of beneficiaries and fiduciaries
- Extensive experience at the appellate level writing briefs and making oral arguments.
My wife and two daughters are my best friends, pride, and joy. Nearly all of my personal time is spent with them, and usually involves activities with or for my daughters, walking with my wife, or playing golf. While practicing law has all but destroyed my golf game, I still enjoy the game that I had the opportunity to play in college. I am the Head Chef of our house, and I take that job seriously on the weekends. When our family gets the opportunity to get away, it is usually to Hilton Head Island, which feels like our home away from home. – Ehren Slagle